Friday, April 6, 2018

Changing gears

I've been quilting for a lot of years (since 1960).  I've explored every fad, and learned many many things.  I moved through traditional, hand pieced and hand quilted, cut from templates with scissors, almost all the way into digital printing and designing(tried it, didn't like it).  Today I went to the bi-annual show of the LQG.  I was blown away.  It's obvious to me that today's quilter has moved on and left dinosaurs like me in their dust.  I'm very discouraged, and spent some time talking to others while fulfilling my volunteer commitment.  I don't think I'm alone in my experience, but maybe I'm just a little more introspective than others, and prone to worrying more than some.  It all boils down to the question--is there a place for me in the "new" quilting world?

Recently my husband and I have been adjusting our lifestyle in response to the physical changes that result from the aging process.  As part of this, we had a discussion yesterday about where each of us is now finding our "happy spot". I have come to realize that none of us can assume responsibility for making someone else happy.  It's as though I have given myself permission to enjoy the pleasure I find in my studio, without guilt.  

Gotta think about this for awhile, but I think I'm heading to a place where I can enjoy finding pleasure in whatever makes me happy.

No comments: