Friday, October 26, 2018

There are some days when everything goes wrong

The most recent dye bath is an example.  I don't know what went wrong.  My suspicion that the tablecloth fabric was a poor choice.  It was much softer and far more used/worn than the almost pristine napkins.  I used the same dyes, and in just about the same concentration.  The results were nothing like I had expected.

This piece has some promise.  I quite like the colour it turned out, but there is no way I would call this either "Grass Green" or "Spring Green", what I had hoped for.  I'm going to keep it, and, already I have the vision of a project, developing in my mind.


This is somewhat similar, but the edges of the colours much sharper.  ( I think the picture is a little out of focus) I'm not as excited about this one.


There had been a bit of navy and purple in the original dye bath, so I added a little to this one.  At least, I thought I had added a little. Guess I screwed up there.

There was no way any of the above could be used with the beaded leaves.  I only had one of the original napkins left and a small scrap, about 12" square.  I tried again.  The last of the original fabric and the last of my ice.  I didn't put any navy or purple in the dyes.  Success!  I think I might have just enough to add the narrow border to the piece.  The first is the napkin, and, if necessary, I can get a little extra out of the scrap.



No comments: