Sunday, October 28, 2018

Emotional ups and downs

Bit of an emotion roller coaster ride the last couple of days.  Excited about getting my machine back, and pleased at getting exactly enough green fabric to bind my leaf piece.  One of the joys at getting the machine back was that it would allow me to work on FMQ'g quilting the hand embroidered antique table cloth that I found at the thrift store.  This is to be a practice piece, prior to working on a very lovely  antique linen, hand embroidered (beautiful combination of cut work and pulled thread work) tablecloth that was given to me by a very special relative, as a wedding gift over 50 years ago. This tablecloth was the reason behind me taking Cindy Needham's Craftsy class not once but twice.  I was also looking for a simple crafty activity that I could demonstrate and display at an upcoming craft show.  Well, I've been working on the practice piece, and have found that it is just too heavy for me to manipulate through the machine.  There are all sorts of ways that a problem like this can be worked with.  I've used most of them, at some point or another, over the years. 

This is a personal physical issue.  I hurt my shoulder in a nasty fall, last June.  It is still causing me a lot of pain, especially with any sort of movement against resistance.  My doctor is not optimistic, as this shoulder was previously broken, again in a fall, and is quite arthritic. ( Don't carry heavy shoulder bags, over long periods.  Just sayin")  So again I'm facing the down side of the aging process.  Another lost function/skill. 

Now, how do I turn this into an opportunity?  I'm not yet sure.  I have to think about it.  I spent yesterday wallowing my frustration, which is just a form of going through the grieving process, but today I have to get on with life.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: