Friday, June 6, 2008

Expectations

When I think about my life I realize how much my activities have been driven by other people's expectations. And it's other people's expectations that have painted me into the corner I'm in. The choice is to either meet those expectations or to maybe lose very dear friends--and I don't have a lot of friends. But meeting expectations causes me stress--and I don't respond well to stress--usually my response is physical. I get ill or I start to lose my hair ( I'm not joking), or I develop a rash. Well, I've been ill for almost two weeks, and I notice my hair getting thinner. Can a rash be far behind? But I promised to keep trying to get the job done. So I'll carry on a little longer.

My most recent collage--as yet un-named-- is going to be just as great as I had thought. I have hopes of finishing it today, so that I can take it to the sale tomorrow. I keep referrring to it as "Son of Magnolia and Blue", but it's really a little too feminne to be a son so it must be a daughter. I also had a idea based on the comments of a friend when she saw one of my other hangings. My sunprints and collages are not very sophisticated. What if Imade some other types of collages in a more sophisticated palette, and with a more subdued design. Would this appeal to a totally different type of client? I want to explore this idea, but it would take a fair bit of time to develop designs and make up a few prototypes to display. I'll have time to do this in the fall. Most of my scheduled sale days are at the height of summer, and in "cottage country", so what I have now will be quite suitable. If I get one or two of the other types of pieces, I can still take them and check the reaction of shoppers.

No comments: