Sunday, June 15, 2008

Saturday

Busy, busy day. The local Embroiderers' Guild was holding a jury process for a fairly big show they are mounting in September. We had to take any pieces we were entering to a location on the opposite side of town--a 45 minute drive--and they were taking entries as of 8:30 am. Then back to a Quiliters Guild meeting by 9:00 on this side of town. The quilters meeting had a sort of "free-for-all" day where anyone who wanted to reserve a table and sell things, could. So I shared a table with another woman who took much nicer things than I did. We had a sort of trunk show given by the nicest lady. She appears to be a bit of a "flower child", but is a formally trained artist who stumbled into quilting about 8 years ago. Since then she has been taking all sorts of prizes and awards, actually winning Best of Show at our recent quilt show. Few of us knew anything about her-so we invited her to do this trunk show. It really blew me away. I've been doing this sort of thing for 45 years and I'll never be able to match her work. She went through the whole process from photo or sketch, to pattern development, and then the final work.

It makes me wonder if I might not be wise to spend a little more time on developing my patterns and designs, before I start the actual work. I've been leaning this way lately, and have a couple of sketch books I've been using.

Anyway, following the meeting, and after a lunch that the Guild provided, I did a demo on sunprinting, which was made interesting by the rain outside. Since I had 5 wet, hand painted pieces that had to be cured somehow, I drove home after the meeting and set them up in my basement under the full spectrum lights. Then it was off to the local embroidery store--another 40 minute trip through construction zones. This shop was recently sold, and former customers had been sent letters offering special discounts, and a chance to sign up first for the new classes being offered, on Saturday afternoon, although the official opening of the new store isn't until Monday. Imagine my surprize when I discovered that I am teaching one of the classes--a complete shock to me. So it looks like there are negotiations in my future. Then it was off to pick up my pieces at the embroiderers jury site--another 40 minute drive. But--they accepted four of my pieces.

I was absolutely beat when I got home, and had made enough selling my junk that I was able to take DH out for supper--no way I could have cooked it!

No comments: