Saturday, June 28, 2008

Plumbers and rain

Yes--we've had more than enough of both. Yesterday, we were up by 5:30, and down to the lake to meet a plumber by 9:00. (a longer trip because, of course, we had to stop at Tim Horton's for take away breakfast and then Wal-mMart to by candies for sustenance on the road) Then family has agreed to put out money to pay someone to come in and sort out our water supply down there. We are getting a little desperate. There is a huge crack ( hole??) in the tank of the toilet. My neice tells us that she and her children run the pump long enough to fill a 5 gallon pail that they keep in the shower ( because we can't run enough water to ever have a shower). When they need to flush the toilet they transfer water from the pail into the toilet bowl for the flush. Now--I personally prefer to use the little house up the path. It would also be nice to have running water-even cold water- in the summer kitchen. However, the pipes from the pump are held together with duct tape,and we are afraid to put any pressure on them for fear that the whole thing explodes and the house is washed away down the hill.

The plumber's estimate was over $6000. And it's still raining--has been for a week and the forecast is for more.

Then I spent the afternoon waiting to see a doctor in Urgent care because of a dislocated finger. After 5 1/2 hours he told me that the xrays were fine. I hate being treated like an ignorant fool. The darn thing is still quite swollen and the whole hand ached. Then it was off to a friend's surprise 60th birthday party. DH brought clothes when he came to pick me up at the hospital. I changed in the washroom, and because of time constaints, and the price of gas, he drove me over, then parked just around the block while I went to the party. So, of course, once th surprize was over, I felt too guilty to stay( and the hand is still throbbing). Last evening I had strong drink before bed.

But on Wednesday and Thursday I put together five sunprinted wall hanging tops. I have them spray basted and now just have to do the quilting and bind them. Two of them are at the binding stage. I'm pleased with this bunch. However, now we're off to grocery shop (in the rain).

No comments: