Wednesday, August 22, 2018

I'm excited.

Last time I posted about the physical problems that have impacted my ability to work with fibre.  Slowly, over the paste couple of weeks, I've been looking for other activities that would allow me to continue to work with textiles, but within the limits of my current abilities.  I can machine stitch in small doses, so nothing will be finished quickly.

I now have three different projects in the works, and I'm excited.  The first is the multiple 1 1/2" strips of stabilized dyed cotton Damask that I spoke of in my last post.  Yes, I'm going to pursue stitching them together, with narrow solid colour strips, in between.  Then I may applique small geometric shapes over the whole thing, or, more likely, in a swath.  

Last week, my fibre art support group, The Fibre Art Divas, met and had a bit of "Show"n"Tell".  One lady showed apiece where she had marbled over previously dyed fabric.  I had several painted pieces that had been disappointments, so over-dyed those.  Two were disappointing, but two were jaw dropping.  I'm in the process of slowly machine quilting one of them, within the limits of my shoulder pain.  This will then be embellished and beaded.

Thirdly, on Pintrest, I noticed several pins of work that brought to mind the collage work of Beryl Taylor.  I bought her book "Mixed Media Explorations" several years ago, and had loved what I saw, but hadn't pursued it at the time.  Now I have the time, and have started to work my way through it.



I want to stay within the limits of my stash, rather than buy more "stuff". So I  have started with cutting motifs out of embossed wallpaper, and painting it, before working it into very small motifs that will later be applied to a background.  I made a firm decision to follow my own path in terms of colour, and will be working within a double complement scheme of red/green and blue/orange.  This was dictated by a group of Shibori dyed fabrics that I have.



I plan to link with The Needle and Thread Network, and Nina Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays.

No comments: