Sunday, August 5, 2018

I'm PO'd

today I decided to dye some cotton in solid colours to match the ones in my two parfait batches.  I used 280" wide "premium" muslin, which I washed first.  I used the basic dyeing method for Procion MX dyes.  I knew almost as soon as the fabric went in the bath that something was wrong.  It just wasn't accepting the dye.  I let it batch for several hours, and the colour got a little better, but still not what I expected.

Dark Purple?   I don't think so.  If it looks like pink to you, I agree.

Olive Green?  Not in my world.  Not even a nice beige.
Grey?  I know grey sometimes appears blue, but this jar of dye has always been pretty good--until now. Actually it's a better purple than the first sample, but still not the "dark" purple I need.


Navy blue?  Well, this is the best of the bunch, and a very pretty blue, but not what I would call navy.

I checked the label on the bold, which I got with the fabric, as I bought the end of the bolt, over 5 meters, at @$22.5/m.  It was labelled as 100% cotton muslin, but I'm 100% sure it is a poly/cotton blend.  I bought it for dyeing, but will now have to use it for backings on charity quilts.  As I said--I'm pissed off.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is too bad. All that work, and not at all what you wanted. I hope you told the store where you bought it.