Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Re-thinking the whole fibre art gig

Sunday, while cutting endless 1 1/2" strips with my rotary cutter, my body objected, and went on a "sit down" strike.  Since then, I've been dealing with regular pain, and the knowledge that routine cutting, for the purpose of preparing fabric for charity quilts is off the table for me, even as a stash reduction strategy.  I have to accept increasing limitations of physical abilities, and not waste what is left on anything that doesn't further my fibre art work. I have a fair stock pile of pre-cut pieces for future charity quilts, and once that's gone--too bad.  

At the same time as my cutting came to an abrupt end, I realized that machine quilting, was also part of the problem.  I expect that I will be able to resume this, in limited, and carefully planned stages, but not for a awhile.  I am so-o-o glad that I'm prepared for hanging 3- yes three- exhibits on the first weekend in September.  What's more they are three different communities in the province, all of them needing trips out of town. My injured shoulder doesn't like driving either.

This all started, last spring, when I made a decision to accept any opportunity that came up.  Be careful what you wish for.  LOL  Now I need a new plan.  I have no idea what that may look like.

As well as cutting for charity quilts, I was working with something--not a vision but a vague idea.  This involved dyeing 8 20" Damask napkins, then cutting them into 1 1/2" strips and organizing them from darkest to lightest.  Didn't work and will never be seen again. 




So, I took some of the strips and organized them with narrow gaps of white in between.  Hmmmm?  Maybe something here, but probably not.  We'll see.  




Whatever happens, I have a whole bunch of lightly stabilized Damask strips, that are probably headed for the circular file. All I will have really lost is my time--and I have more of that.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Hmmmm. So sorry to hear about what's been happening to your body -- rebelling, apparently, at over-use (in its view, at least!) I happen to think your strippy piece has potential -- and wonder if you can find someone to collaborate with you on its further construction and completion. Just might get you over the hump!

Widow Jones said...

I, too, think the pieces have potential. That is what attracted my attention to this blog -- hmmm, it seems to be awaiting a message......and another person might just be the source of said message.

Meanwhile, I have those body pains, too. I suspect it is the "aging process," and I am having a difficult time accepting it!!