Saturday, August 4, 2018

New projects

Having finally reached the end of my urgent job list, I was free to start a new project.  Amazing how the energy flows, when you have the freedom to make something of it.

Yesterday I decided that the rusted fabric I make about a week ago, needed more rusting, and set that up.  I also decided to dye some cotton Damask napkins.  I like to re-purpose old lines, and cotton Damask dyes so beautifully.  I had thought that I might try  "parfait" dyeing. I also wanted to try soaking the linen in Sodium Carbonate, rather than sprinkling it on the ice with the dye, as I've done with other projects ( successfully!)  After leaving the dye bath overnight, and washing the napkins, I realized that they were all  the same value. 


 I had hoped that those on the bottom of the vessel would be darker.  So today I set up another "parfait " with more dye powder, and more ice, as I had wondered if too little liquid might have contributed to the problem. The parfait is so-o- pretty while it's in progress!  Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I also have to wonder if the different method of using the Sodium Carbonate made a difference. If it is still to closely matched in value, I  have a plan to deal with it.


While the dye is"batching", I worked on  the rusted fabric.  I cut it to size, and managed to get enough for binding out of the piece.  Then it was sandwiched and I started quilting.  I soon realized that I had forgotten to add extra when sizing it, to allow for what would be taken up with the quilting, so it will end up a little smaller than I had anticipated.


Once the quilting is finished, I plan to add some "Broderie Perse" applique.  I decided to go with raw edge applique, as it would be so much easier than turned edge, and so much more efficient use of the fabric.  My appliques will be cut from this.  I will do a little FMQ'g on the appliques, and may add some beads.  It really is a joy to be working on something that I can change and manipulate however I want.

No comments: