Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Isolation seems to be getting to me

In the last paragraph of the previous post, posted the day before yesterday,  I mention getting an idea for saving a UFO from a few years back.  Haven't a clue what I was talking about.  Oh Well, keep calm and carry on--I guess.

There is a piece I'm working on.  While it is original, and Covid19 inspired, it is turning out more pretty than profound.  I started with white fabric, which I machine quilted, as I often do before adding anything to the front.  Then I wanted to add some colour to the front.  I had wanted something reminiscent of gathering clouds, and decided to try using InkTense blocks.  Since this involved using water, I decided to take the opportunity to block the piece at the same time.  So it was wet, blocked, and then the InkTense added.  It looked really great, but I knew that was too good to be true, and the next day discovered that the colour had spread right to the edges, and had faded significantly when dry.  Today, for some reason, I decided to add gold stars to it, using Shiva Paint Sticks( sometimes called Fabric Pastels).  Once those have been heat set (72 hours from now), I have prepared quite a few elongated hexagons, in various sizes, to machine applique on top.



While the colour here doesn't appear to work very well with the background, they match much better when seen together. At the same time,I'm starting to think that this is just going to be bizarre, and that it will just join that big pile that I refer to as my"crap quota".

On the other hand, I mentioned dealing with my scrap basket, most of which was long strips to sew together.  I was hoping for pieced strip sections that worked out to be square, with a bit of trimming.  I wanted to use these in an improvisational piece, but none of them turned out to be big enough to be useful.  Gotta think about that one, but it will probably go through a couple more resurrections before heading to that quota pile mentioned. .

But, on  happy note, the kit for my on-line sketchbook workshop finally arrived yesterday, and a very beautiful selection of art supplies it is.  I didn't work with them today, as I've been doing some research/reading on the same topic, and which I'm finding  very useful .

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

So glad to see another artist working through the confusing days of this virus. Your piece is looking full of potential. I'm sure the two ladies would be honored and I'm sorry for your loss.
Susan