Monday, April 13, 2020

The old and the new

While looking at things on an upper shelf in the closet, I found a quilt that I had almost forgotten about--one that has never before been used on a bed.  The colours just about match the new sheets we got over the winter.  




This was the result of a "Mystery Quilt" fundraiser that the local Guild had 20-30 years ago.  One member designed the pattern, and donated it, and then everyone bought the instructions for one square or border every month. No-one knew how the piece was going to turn out, so we were working blind.  In this case we were also told to change it any way we wanted: that the pattern was just a suggestion. So every quilt turned out differently.  I was very pleased with mine, and even paid to have it machine quilted in what would now be described as "custom" quilting.  Even then that wasn't cheap.  It's really too small for the bed, but I used it last night and it worked just fine.
I guess, at one time, I was a fairly good traditional quilter. But if forced to make a choice, I think I would go for the more challenging original art quilting.
 I had an idea for a couple of pieces in my brain yesterday, and took the time to write them down in my sketch book, and work out some details.  One of them I was really excited about, but the other grabbed hold of me and said "Me first".  So that one is slowly being developed.  I think I worked out one part of it yesterday, and am now starting the basic machine quilting.  I usually quilt my pieces first, and then add the details on top of the quilting.  This lets me do whatever I want without the worry of figuring out how I'm going to quilt around it.  This one involves a bit of English Paper Piecing, so may take a long time to finish.  The other one just isn't talking to me at all.

No comments: