Thursday, April 2, 2020

Laughing Hysterically

So many plans in my last post.  I continue to be plagued by the "plague". This means a long afternoon nap every day.  It means that we have spent a fair chunk of this month's food budget on take out, and now have to rein everything in, and live out of the freezer.  That means cooking, and while I only really have to prepare one meal a day, it means that I have to pull myself together and cook.  Thank Goodness  for the dishwasher, as I just don't have the strength to do both cooking and dish washing, even less when one thinks about  the clean up the kitchen part that comes in between.  I spend my time  mindlessly watching tv, or playing around on the internet on my computer.

In terms of studio work, I did get another batik finished, but OMG, this is not what I had planned.

What appears as a light grey/blue in the center of the feathers was supposed to be white, what appears as grey/green was supposed to be yellow.  I have no idea what I might do with this, but I don't think it's worth the effort of machine quilting.  I might be able to tease out sections and make small pouches or purses to sell at craft sales.  Or maybe I should say offer for sale at craft sales, as I'm not sure they would sell.  But I know my brain isn't functioning well, so I certainly won't make any decision until I'm feeling better.  Not that I feel like doing any serious work right now.

Rather, I'm attempting some fairly mindless hand work.  I'm following the challenges on TextileArtist.org The current challenge involves creating a collage using a meaningful focal image, paper as well as fabric, and stitching in the manner of Kantha quilting or Sashiko stitching.  I've attempted both previously, even teaching Sashiko to the local embroidery guild.  I started my stitching with #12 perle cotton, but, fortunately, some Superior Thread's Sew Sassy, I had ordered, arrived yesterday.  I had been very curious about how this might work for hand stitching, so have incorporated it very successfully into the piece. Here is a picture of it in progress, ( you can see my  original guideline for stitching,) and then a closeup of the stitching, and a view where I've placed three tatted pieces in the spots I plan to attach them later.  The wet, on the hand made paper, is where I've removed those guidelines. 




This is supposed to be finished and posted to the website by the weekend.  I sure hope I make it, but, if I don't, that's okay too.

Now it's time for  my nap. Be safe everyone, and keep your distance.  It could save your life.

No comments: