Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cost of doing business

What an emotional roller coaster! I have had to agree to being in one, two day sale only, but the cost is not as bad as I had figured. I had to buy a temporary vendors license for $11.25, not the business license for over $600, (when a zoning variance is calculated in). A friend told me that if I call myself a seamstress--and what else is it when you use a sewing machine to sew pieces of fabric together--I am exempt from needing a zoning variance. Now I have to pay 20% of my gross sales to the people who are hosting the sale. I have to confess that my mark-up is a reasonable one, so if I actually sell anything, I may make a little money!

After spending the morning yesterday negotiating with the city, I spent the afternoon with my friend, Carolyn, playing with fabric dye to produce something that we could design an embroidery around. We used mainly the Procion MX dyes although we also played with a small packet of Dylon--just for the colour. Carolyn ended up with several fairly nice pieces of fabric, and has ideas for most of them. She did some threads too, to use in the pieces she ends up making. Now I'm wanting to make up a few of my own. There is something invigorating about spending time with creative people, even if you are just "playing". Carolyn is a stitcher ( see Carolyn Mitchell Designs or Mrs. Twitchett's Eye) who is on the verge of retiring after owning an embroidery shop for many years. Well, there was a class going on in the shop, there was a private student, and of course, customers, and there we were in the middle of it all dyeing. What a hoot!!

No comments: