Monday, March 31, 2008

Soup

What a great guy I married! He made the soup, and then decided that it would be good day to bake bread as well! So I did get time to spend in the studio. I tidied up--and then had a chance to try out my new vacuum. We really had to get one, as last week while putting away groceries, a 10 K bag of flour burst open and there was a light dusting of flour oer everything in the basement. All cleaned up now.
Anyway, I'm amazed at the things I found when cleaning up. I now have a list of about 6 projects that were either in progress, or already to start--just sitting there waiting for me to get downto work. One is a little quilt that I plan to donate to the charity project of our local guild. I have a whole huge bolt of polyester batting that I use in donation quilts, but it isn't as easily controlled as the Warm battings that I prefer. This means going back to the older techniques such as actually pin basteing the quilt sandwich before starting my machine quilting. But, while I certainly have things to do, I have to force myself to sit down with paper and pencil and actually do some design planning, before leaping into the actual construction.
If I want to be taken seriously as a designer of fibre art, I have to develop the discipline of the working through the whole process. Then if I have to, I can actually prove the design process should a copyright problem emerge. If I want to teach, --and that's the only place that I would make any money--I have a documented process that I can base a class on.

No comments: