Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A New Beginning

I have spent the last few months debating with my self on how I want to live the rest of my life. I hate the uneasy time that we go through when we reach a crossroad in life. I can't say that I have all the answers yet, but circumstances are forcing me to make some decisions. I've always believed that when a door closes, another one opens. Lately I seem to be seeing a lot of closed doors. I have arthritis--have had for awhile. For several years I have worked as a finisher of fine needlework. This is a very skilled trade. Not only do we have to be skilled at sewing and construction techniques, we have to be familiar with ( but not that not skilled at) every type of needlework, so that we understand how something is created when we take it that step further. The shop I have been working in has now been sold. Considering the worsening problems with my hands, now seems like a good time to retire. When I realized that my days of hand stitching were numbered, I explored machine work, and a whole world opened up to me--a very expensive world. Not a good thing for someone living on a pension. However, I have created many beautiful things--which no-one wants. What will happen to them when I die? I decided to try selling them at fine craft shows. WOW! Are there ever a lot of hoops to go through in terms of licensing! Today I find out what the bottom line will be, but I know that I'll never make enough at a sale to ever pay the cost of being there. I'll let you know the actual figures tomorrow.

No comments: