Sunday, March 30, 2008

Strength in Numbers

Yesterday was very strange, but confirmed my idea that we, as women artists, need the support and encouragement of other women artists. I was to attend a needlework/design class taught by a friend. On Friday she called to let me know she was very ill, and she asked if I would teach the class for her. As it happened, I had promised my DH that Friday would be for the two of us, so I didn't get around to doing any real planning the class until late Friday night, although I had gone over my friend's notes and has made some notes of my own to augment hers. The plan was that I would attempt to turn the class into a discussion/seminar on the topic, as I have never taught design ( and was actually scared stiff at the whole idea). It worked!! We had five hours of discussion and encouragement and inspiration! What a fantastic day! But, as I said above, it has been proved to me that we need to encourage and support each other to succeed. I believe ( I hope I'm right) that every one of the participants went away with new ideas, validation for the ideas they expressed, and a whole new sense of energy about future work. Even I have several ideas for new projects--and I had vowed to never do embroidery again!?

But, setting up the class has left my studio in a total mess! Thank Goodness the weather is foul. It looks like I'm spending the day tidying up the studio and attending to a few domestic chores. I will have a chance to think about future projects. I work best when ideas have a chance to percolate in my brain before I actually sit down and start work. I think my worst disasters are when I jump into something without having thought it through. So today, I make soup.

No comments: