Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Time to plan

I've spent several hours thinking about what I'm going to do with the prints I made on Monday. This lead me to thinking about where I'm headed in general. I find myself spending more and more time altering the surface of fabric, and less time actually doing anything with the fabric. I read the messages on several of the internet groups I'm a part of, and I read of many others who appear to be doing the same thing. Somehow it seems as though our sense of direction has been lost. What had been a journey toward the destination of finished art, has become the destination itself. The surface modification has actually become the art that we attempt to achieve. I really need to explore this concept a little further, because I now have visions of an art gallery filled with pieces of artistically draped, altered, fabric.

Having said that, I have a studio day planned for this afternoon. We plan to explore rubber stamps. I believe we are going to be making our own, which we then use to alter the surface of fabric.

No comments: