Saturday, October 4, 2008

Value Study #25

Here is the piece I did for the Fast Friday Challenge group for September 2008. The challenge was to work in a series this year with each of the monthly challenges, and this month the details were to work in a complimentary colour scheme and to introduce an obvious vertical, horizontal of diagonal line. I did two gelatine prints, one after the other on the same painted slab of gelatine. That way I got one print that was much paler than the other. I then cut them, pieced them, quilted them, embellished them, and beaded them. I was very proud of getting the fabric I painted for the binding so very close in colour to the piece itself. Since the paints were mixed, rather than pure, this was a challenge in it self. The true challenge came when someone reminded me that blue-violet and red-orange aren't compliments. I said several bad words, thought about it over night, and then instead of the blue and red beads I had chosen, replaced most of them with yellow-green beads to make the whole thing into a colour triad. I took the time to finish it properly with a false back ( to cover the beading thread), and a proper hand-sewn binding.