Wednesday, January 26, 2011

First results


Here is the piece I worked on yesterday. I specifically chose it to include a variety of techniques. I started with one of my gelatin prints, backed with Warm'n'Natural, then cut and lay down three strips of silk paper in blue and magenta. I arranged lengths of yarn,making sure that some were behind and some on top of the silk paper. I used my embellisher to pound these all into the background. I had originally planned to maintain an analogous colour scheme but that left the whole piece dull and boring, so I went with the compliment to the blue-orange. Not a true orange, as I found another piece of silk paper with yellow, orange, and just a hint of magenta. I traced the circles and cut them out with scissors--a much more difficult task than I had anticipated. The orange circles were FMQ'd with gold, in my trademark spiral pattern. Again, the FMQ'g proved a more difficult task than anticipated, as all of the thread manipulation and "fiddling" took place on the left side of the machine head. Have to re-think that one! I plan more FMQ'g, maybe some more spirals, but in dark blue so as to almost disappear into the background.

Of course, I overdid it. I was so excited about being able to work! I have no expectation that I produced any saleable art yesterday, but at the same time, I'm surprised at how well I did. Did I mention that I sold two of my little collaged quiltlets on Monday? So far a good week!

No comments: