Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The journey begins

First day of a new and different life. My goals for the first week are to complete a skills inventory and force myself to become more physically active.

Skills inventory- I need to be creative, but it sure won't happen using the bi-manual skills I've honed over the past 65 years. So what skills can I use?

1. There is no way I can use a rotary cutter and ruler. I simply cannot exert enough pressure on the ruler to hold it steady enough for cutting. And the cutting is the first step in any fibre project. But I can hold the ruler steady enough to make a pencil mark, and my left had can hold very light objects--lighter than a full coffee mug. So I can draw lines and use scissors.

2. My very expensive new sewing machine requires two hands to use it. While I absolutely love the start/stop button, I can install the foot control--a device I used for 55 of my 65 years, and should be comfortable with. But getting my left hand up onto the bed of the machine is awkward. So I think I need a higher chair, and I have one..

3. I haven't tried ironing, but the bulk of the activity is accomplished with my right hand, and at a very good working height ( for me). Some experimentation needed here, but I'm optimistic..

4. When I've used my embellisher in the past, there was very little required in terms of hand function--just some simple guidance, which could be done with my right hand. Again, some experimentation required.

So how's that for 10 minutes of casual task analysis? It will mean being prepared to lower my expectations of myself, and a conscious effort to pace my work and listen to what my body tells me. Setting this all up will mean moving some furniture, so I'll have to get help for that, but it will also mean a much higher level of physical activity for me.

No comments: