Friday, January 7, 2011

You asked for photos

Most recently I've been working with the gelatin prints I created just after Christmas. I've been picking out one or two to work with at a time, as I think it would be overwhelming to try to be creative with all 28 of them at the same time. There are two that are in progress, and I don't want to show them until they're finished--by Monday I hope.


So I put a few of the pieces up on the design wall in a group photo. Starting from the top left is a print I actually made on glass at my friend Brandy's house. I then hand quilted it and added beads. I'm not sure I really like this or where I might go from here with it. In the middle is a clean-up rag on which I put a freezer paper masque, and then treated with a irridescent pink Shiva paint stick. I really like the effect so far, and I'm afraid to go any futher for fear of messing it up. It may stay on the wall for awhile until I figure out what to do. Below that is one of the gelatin prints, done on satin, that I finished and used for the December Fast Friday Fabric Challenge, which was on the Colour Field Movement.

In the middle is the Ginko leaf hanging that I've been playing around with. I have no purpose for this, other than to maybe give my new machine a "field test" on fine machine applique. It passed the test, but it's obvious that my skills need to be a little further developed before I try to use this technique on any exhibition pieces. There is a close-up of this.


Below that is the only finished gelatin print out of the ones I've been working on. As you can see, I quilt, embroider, or whatever the prints, finish the edge, and mount it on a canvas that has been painted in a coordinating colour and pattern. I've also included a picture of another one I finished out of the prints that I brought home from the FAN retreat in October. There are two more in the works.




On the far right is a sunprint of grass. I love the colour and know exactly how I'm going to hand embellish it, but haven't a clue how it will be finished. I really don't need any more quilted hangings, and it's too big for my standard mountings. Need to think about this one a little longer.

No comments: