Sunday, January 9, 2011

Snow dyeing

I've been involved in a bit of discussion about the differences between snow dyeing and Low water immersion dyeing (LWI). I expressed that I didn't see where the results were better with snow dyeing, and wondered what made others feel that it was worth the effort. Others have responded questioning if I had ever had the sort of results that they have with snow dyeing--results that make them very enthusiastic about the process. This is a valid question. What snow dyeing I've seen, mine and others, seems very bland and boring to me, although lately I've been able to get a few of the crystalline patterns that I love so much in LWI dyeing. so I've taken some pictures of some of my results.


This first picture shows LWI dyeing on the left and snow dyeing on the right. Same fabric, same dyes mixed in the same proportions.


The next picture shows the big white patches I get on the snow dyed piece on the left.




Next are close-up of the same two fabrics showing the cystalline pattern of each












2 comments:

Dianne Leatherdale Johnson said...

Dye the blue piece again with another colour, it can be lovely.
Dianne

Anonymous said...

Amazing difference! Your results with LWI are much better than the snow dyed fabric. I can see why you prefer it over the snow dye method.
Many snow dyed fabrics I've seen photos of look fabulous..nothing like what you achieved with snow. Why your snow dyes look so different is a mystery to me...I've never done either type of dyeing.
Thank you for sharing...I'm learning a lot here. I know I would like trying LWI dyeing myself now. Your results with LWI dyeing are just beautiful.