Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Last Class

Today was my last PSE class.  I had been to physio and to orthopedic clinic and then stratight to class.  I can't really say that the class was successful and I came home absolutely wiped out.  Probably still suffering from overdoing it yesterday.

Last evening was the monthly meeting of my art quilt group Ravenesque.  No-one is the boss withthis group and it's a relief to be able to attend and enjoy without any resposniblitiy. I talked to them about my plans for the Doorways and they seem to approve, although we had a good discussion about the long term viability of printer inks and ways of getting around it. ( I know that the best results come with the use of Bubble Jet Set, but I didn't have any and can't afford any.)  We also had a discussion about why we teach.   Several of the older membes have become quite cynical about teaching and are slowly leaving that part of their artistic practise.  Younger members are excited about the opportunities they see.  I wish them well, but also know the benefit of keeping my mouth shut, at times.  Yes, I'm one of the cynical ones.

This is a lean month and a long one.  Unfortunately, several of my artists groups are needing membership dues this month and a couple of summer shows are wanting deposits as well.  So how do I evaluate which of the groups have benefitted me enough to re-new?  Not an easy decision.  Out of the groups, I want the opportunity to learn and grow as an artist, and the networking opportunities that could lead to either exhibitions or sales.  I'm fully aware that I only get as much as I give, in dealing with special interest groups, and my contributions have always been a given.  But I have to perceive benefit--I'm too old to be doing things for nothing.  Over the past year I have withdrawn from three organizations, (although I'm re-considering one of those).  One, that I left, had seen me as a member since 1976--I left--and the world didn't end.  So the only person affected by my decision is myself.

No comments: