Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thought the Muse had died....

A friend invited me over for what is to us, the most fun thing two art quilters/mixed media artists can do--explore stash.  She had recently been part of the the distributon of stash from a deceased relative, and wanted to share.  This was the day before my pension cheque arrives and I barely had enough ready cash for a cup of coffee, but you better believe I jumped in the car, bought gas on credit, and hightailed it right over there! Her method of sharing such a find is to slowly go through it, and the first one to share a good vision of how something could be used, gets first dibs on it.

This means picking up something, fondling it carefully and discussing what could be done with it.  I truly believe that there is no more stimulating activity.  It doesn't work nearly as well if you try it alone, as your comments and ideas stimulate the other person.  Out time together is particularly interesting as we each approach  the task in our own way.  I'm driven by colour, and while she is certainly stimulated by colour, I sometimes think she has a way of looking at texture that I lack.  Her work is big and bold and dramatic, while mine tends to be more subdued and formal.  We complement each other very well.

A wonderful afternoon, and time very well spent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad I could give your Muse a kick!

Dianne