Saturday, March 19, 2011

Retro-spection

Today was the meeting of our Local Quilt Guild (LQG).  A pleasant gentleman gave a short presentation on a historically significant quilt made by his grandmother, and also showed some more utilitarian quilts she had made--by hand.  The important quilt he showed had been made over a period of two years as a special project to honour the Canadian Centenial year of 1967--well befoe the quilt renaissance of the 1970's.  The others were very traditional, but here was still the touch of an artist in the colurs and flow of the designs.

Now, I'm an art quilter, or more probably, a mixed media/fibre artist.  But this display took me right back to my roots.  This was the type of quilt made by my grandmother, and both of the aunts, whom I consider mentors.  Quilts made to be used on beds, made out of out of scraps, or, only rarely, from purchased fabric.  But each piece made with love, and care and great attention to detail.  And each piece a tribute to the technical skill of the maker.

So, perhaps I can pay tribute to these women in my past by making sure that every piece--in whatever medium--is made with love, care and attention to detail, and with as much technical skill as I can muster.

No comments: