Thursday, March 10, 2011

One of those days

I'm proceastinating over my Doorways.  Usually this means that there is a problem that I haven't yet recognized, but I think it's because I haven't figured out all of the technical aspects to my satisfaction.  Complicating everything is the fact that I'm trying to do without pain killers--at least during the day time.

Anyway, I spent the morning working on a small needlefelted collage that I have fooled around with when I was first trying to get back into the studio.  Now this poor piece has had many problems.  I spent a fortune trying to figure out what beads to use until I accidently spilled the beads from another project onto it.  Okay that problem solved (I had to scrap the other project--I had no more beads)  Some of the larger beads fought back and I had to subdue them with glue.  I hate to do that but will if I have to.  While hand sewing the beads I realized that the mono print on cotton that formed the background had been pounded into shreds when I added embellishment with my embellishing machine.  I tried to stick everything together with gel medium, and it seemed to work, in a small sample area.  But the next day I could feel a drastic change in texture.  So I sprayed the whole piece with spray fixative--which has worked well in some other pieces.  Tamed the threads,but dulled the finish on the large focal beads.

Are you still with me? 

I wasn't sure if the piece was ruined or not, so I took it to my Ravenesque meeting last Monday and showed it.  I said nothing and waited for anyone to notice the flaws.  Hurrah!  No one noticed.  So today I decided to finish it. I found a hanger that was almost a perfect fit.  Measured everything carefully and cut the piece to size ( I had planned to face it, as I felt that binding would detract from the overall appearance)  Shit! Instead of cutting off 3/4 inch, I cut 3/4 inch of EACH side!  So now, if I added a facing, it would be too narrow for the hanger--and the right hanger is hard to find!

After auditoning every piece of blue fabric in my stash, I found one that worked and was big enough.  The piece  is now backed and bound.

And I still haven't done anything on my Doorways, but to be on the safe side, I think tonight I'll play poker.  Or is that just more procrastination?

No comments: