Friday, April 18, 2008

Foiling

Someone on an Internet group I belong to said that the very last step in altering fabric is foiling, as you can't do anything else, on top. Dye won't take and you can't sew through it. Well, to me, such words are a challenge. I finished carving some of my rubber stamps yesterday, and then used them to apply foil to a piece I have started. It is actually a clean-up rag from a painting/dyeing session that had been free motion quilted(FMQ), but the foil went on next. It changed the whole direction of the piece. It now has a very linear look, after my line of foil went on at a bit of an angle and I had to square the whole piece off. I debated over using dark blue foil, but settled on silver. I now plan to accent the vertical line with some appliqued white/silver ribbon, and then just add some beads. I'm not sure where the beads might go, but I'll play with them a bit. So far the piece has an elegant look, and I don't want to loose that by using more traditional tricks like yo-yo's (one of my favourite "funky" bits to add). Unless the yo-yo was made out of silver foil.....Aha! What if.....? I'll let you know what happens

No comments: