Sunday, April 27, 2008

Now to relax

the video taping is over. Actually yesterday was busy. I had to take three pieces to a town about 30 miles away for a show that will open next week. I plan to go to the opening reception on Thursday evening. It was gratifying to see my fabric pieces beside the paintings--I think my pieces will hold up quite well. But at the same time, I came to the realization that I really can't compete with paintings on an even playing field. I should be making more of a point of my work being on fabric--I should be marketing it as fibre art and not presenting it in the same way as I would a painting. I have to think this through a little more and try to figure out a focus to promote. My next show isn't until the end of July, so I have time.
The video taping was not quite what I had expected. I had been told that they would be wanting to know how I was trained, what courses I had taken and who my influences were, but much of the interview was about how my craft/art impacted on my life. Just as valid a viewpoint, I guess. But it's done and I've promised a copy of the CD when it's edited. But now my studio is tidy, and I'm not sure what to work on next.

I'm receiving a little pressure, lately, to develop a course, based on my current work, that I could offer to the EAC Seminar 2010 committee. This pressure is coming from more than one direction, but the bottom line is that I'm not really sure that I want to do it. I can see the advantages, I can see how this might move my art in a different direction ( or give it a direction), and I can see how this could result in more income-producing opportunities. It would be a lot of work, but probably no more than producing a body of work for a large show/sale. So, what is behind my reluctance? I have to submit a proposal my August, so need to make a decision soon.

I took a major step this week and resigned from one of my fibre art support groups. It was not influencing me in any way and I was becoming frustrated at the dynamics within the group. I carefully wrote to the group, via e-mail, telling them that I was backing off and wishing them well. Only one of the group has responded in any way, and I am hurt. I guess they might have been hurt at my leaving, and I know I'll see them all again, but it's a little sad none the less.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

I'm so glad to see you blogging on a regular basis.. Glad it wasn't with us you were withdrawing. I for one would miss you! I just love your work.