Thursday, May 1, 2008

Re-inventing myself--again

The last few days I've been trying to get myself sorted out and organized in terms of what sort of goals I need to have for my fibre art. Tuesday, I attended a session through an organization called "Mentoring Artists for Women's Art". It was a panel discussion on how to market yourself as an artist, and how to facilitate getting yourself into galleries etc. One comment really struck home. She said that opportunity doesn't really coming knocking at the door, that you have to get out and look for it. When I look at myself, I realize how very reactive I've become, rather than pro-active. Then I had to ask myself which I prefer. I wasn't really impressed with the answer I got. So-o-o--I have an opportunity to move into teaching fibre art beyond the local level. But, I would be a very small fish in a very big pond, and it will take a lot of time and energy to try to take advantage of this opportunity--and I could still be turned down. However, I'm getting a lot of encouragement and I think I'm going to try. The deadline is a week after the second of the two big sales I have coming up this summer. In that same time frame, I would have to have my entry for the 2008 Journal Quilt challenge submitted. This all means "hard time" in the studio over the next couple of months.

No comments: