Sunday, May 11, 2008

Grandchildren

visited Friday evening. I had been feeling so wretched earlier in the day that I went back to bed and slept until about 3:00pm. Still, by the time the children left, I was ready for bed again. We gave my GD a huge roll of newsprint from Lee Valley for her birthday. She loves to paint and draw, but it turns out that her father gave her a bunch of paper too. DH got out a very old paper roll and cutter that he had in the garage and they took the paper home with that, so the roll will be much easier to control. While they were here we had our DS help us move our garden lion out into the yard. This is a ritual we make a big deal out of twice a year, as he is made of plaster and can't be left out in the snow. We try to have the youngest male family member be in charge of the move, but since Lion weighs about 40lbs, it takes a bit of muscle to move him. Last year we had no-one to help move him back in in October, and DH actualy had to use the wheelbarrow. Spring has been bitter. We were at a charity garage sale yesterday morning and I had to borrow a jacket to cut the wind. Of course, no-one garage sales when it's that cold. The weather has turned this sale into a disaster two weekends in a row. In the afternoon, I was in a class at the local embroidery shop. This shop has been sold, and the new owner has had some trouble finding employees. Now it looks like she will be pretty well on her own until she can find someone to help out. The former owneer was teaching the class and was trying to suggest that some of the students might help out. One of them just might, but I was still feeling so awful that I just kept my mouth shut. I don't think I have the endurance to work on my feet for any period of time, anymore.
DH has bought some tomato plants, but we keep moving them into the garage at night, as it's been below freezing every night for the last week. Now we are planning to head for the States for a couple of days and those poor plants are going to have to live in the garage until we get back. I tried to cut off the newspaper and couldn't but a neightbour has agreed to take it in for us. Friends have lists of things to bring back for them. Yeah, sure--maybe. so I'll be out of touch until Wednesday.

No comments: