Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Birthdays coming up

for two of my grandbabies. So yesterday we went out to Toys R Us, with a list of suggested gifts in hand. What a scarey place! I finally had to get someone to help us find our way around. We only shopped for the two birthdays this month, not yet for Christmas. If the sales go well the next two weekends, I'll do the Christmas shopping. I think that with some of the popular toys, you need to buy them early. So this afternoon we are off to a birthday party for a four year old. The other Grandma is going to be there early, and they are going to have Princess Party. The three little girls will dress up and get tiaras and have make-up put on and then Grandma Judie will do their hair.

Now this all sounds like great fun, and I'm sure the little girls will enjoy themselves. But what does this say about society?? Four year olds spending a party afternoon making themselves into something they aren't --and this means make-up and hair do's and fancy clothes. Four year olds!!! Most ofthe items on the wish list were along the same vein--dress up Barbies, Bratz and Bratz wardrobes. I refuse to buy that sort of thing. She's getting jig saw puzzles and Robert Munsch books. Not that I believe that my small resistance will alter anything.

No comments: