Monday, September 15, 2008

and now it's Monday

got a lot done in the studio yesterday. I made and packaged 5 matted sunprints and one matted gelatin print. Late Saturday evening I was going through all of my prints looking for inspiration when I suddenly got an idea of how to use the gelatin prints. I made those last March and have been trying to figure out how to use them ever since. So one of them was free motion quilted and then beaded and matted. One of them I made into a hanging about a month ago, and today I'll be looking at the rest. they aren't so good and I may just make them up into the background for a collage. The gelatin prints aren't nearly so crisp as the sunprints, and the colour s are much softer. I had used a thickening agent in the paints to control their spread on the gelatin and it softened the edges and appears to have softened the colour as well. I quite like the gelatin prints. As the gelatin deteriorated the prints developed a very characteristic ripple effect, probably from the effect of the brayer moving over the softening gelatin. I also used a variety of paints that had been lying around the studio, including some silk paints. I'd not tried those on cotton before. Now i have some better quality cotton, and I'm anxious to try again.

The grandchildren were over for supper last night. The baby seems to be teething, although there are no signs of teeth yet. Nine months old, and the doctor isn't worried, so we don't worry either. She is starting to develop personality. Last night was the first time I'd seen her get angry at her older sister--who tends to take things away from her. The older one is pretty rough with her, so it's good to see the little one starting to stand up for herself at last. The older one starts nursery school this week, and started dancing class last week. The battle is going to be getting her to agree to have her hair put in a pony tail for dance class. She is very, very opinionated about how she dresses and how her hair is done--at three.

Everything seems to be ready for the big meeting weekend. All of the billets are lined up, I have cheques to cover catering for both the catered events, and I've paid the rent on the hall for the pot luck supper. I've found a secretary, after the first one had to back out, I have the coupons for the stores we're going to visit, and I think I have the drivers all set up. Sounds too good to be true.

No comments: