Sunday, September 7, 2008

Life goes on

I taught my design/beadmaking course yesterday. Not as many students as I had thought--only four showed up. This class came out of a design /dyeing course that I team taught with a needlework designer last spring. The ladies enjoyed it and wanted to continue. So the class yesterday was to discuss the format of future meetings, and set up topics etc, so that the shop owner could publicize them, and maybe work some sort of profit into the process, since she is giving us the space to meet. I made a few beads myself during the afternoon, and then came home and made a couple more. While I was working, I had design ideas come to mind, so maybe my creativity isn't completely dead. Unfortunately, they were all emboidery ideas, and a little more difficult, and time consuming to work up. Over the past six months, I've come up with several embroidery ideas, and got them all set up--fabric framed and ready, thread all selected and sorted out, and embellishments as well--and then not put a stitch in.

So maybe I've reached another point in my life where I have to step back and give some thought to future a direction, and the small steps I need to make to start me along the path. Sometimes when I reach this stage, it's my first hint that the depression is coming back. Over time I've learned to pay attention to these moods. Daily journaling and making lots of "To Do" lists is often a good strategy to turn me around. (Gives me a focus and a concrete list of things to keep me busy and on track)

Had a friend call me early this morning. She is an older woman, living in an assisted living facility. She had signed us up for a guided tour of the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden and lunch at the Conservatory, but was calling to cancel. During our conversation she mentioned how depressed a close friend was, because her SIL had been diagnosed with ALS at the age of 60, and how devastating this was to the family. Having seen this during my working life, I knew exactly what she meant. Still, it gives one pause to consider their own mortality. AHA! Another route to depression!

No supper guests today, so I have the whole day to play in my studio. However, DH has decided that today is the day to finish washing the basement floor. He's probably right. I've pretty well cleared off the table in the middle of the room, and, if nothing else, I really need to vacuum my beautiful rug. So regardless of the nice fall weather, it looks like I get to spend the day in the basement. Whoopee!

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

I think a lot of people are feeling depressed at the moment and don't really know why. try and keep busy, it might do the trick.