Monday, September 1, 2008

Back in the studio

I finally insisted that we take a break. I did my dyeing yesterday. Two gradation sequences, with each taking about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It had been suggested that I combine two different black dyes, each with a different colour base, to try to get a gradation that remains black/grey. This was the dye that I had to order from Toronto. This gradation turned out to be the most beautiful deep teal blue--go figure! The second one was a gradation of grey dye, and this one isn't that bad--probably the best one I've done. Each gradation costs me about $10-$12 in dye, and four metres of fabric--$36 when it isn't on sale. So I can't afford to do too many of these. Deadlines loom, so I'm going to change the background to dark and use the lighter grey gradation for the piece. The very darkest value in the gradations is close enough to the right hue to use,-- it's as I move down the gradation that the hue goes wonky. Today I'll actually start the piece.

My DD and her two children came for supper last evening. both the children were tired. The older one had spent the night with her other Grandma, with her Mom picking her up on the way to my house. She was exhausted and on a sugar high. Finally her behaviour got so bad that her mother gave her a time out. This means that she sits on the floor of the open closet by the front door, where we can see her and she can see us but, since it's across the room, there is no interaction. She takes a pillow and a small quilt with her. Well, she fell asleep. What to do?? My DD didn't want to let her sleep to long, but knew she needed the nap. We didn't want to let the baby, who is now crawling, start climbing on her, and baby needed a nap too, but was refusing to stay in the relining, vibrating chair where she usually naps. So baby sat in her high chair, and ate Cheerios, fighting sleep, while we played cards. Sleeping beauty woke up in time for the last hand of the game, and needless to say everyone went home early. Then Grandma went to bed. Not all of the visits are a joy, but each of them has joyful moments

No comments: