Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wow! Expensive!

I found my hard cover journals in Office Depot. Any like I had in mind were over $10.00 and some up to $18.00. I found a one style($4.99) but they were all damaged. I asked if there might be a discount for the damage ( after all, it would have saved me some time de-constructing them to get them ready for altering), but "no". I finally found one that is probably okay for playing with. The cover is shiney, and I'll have to rough it up quite a bit to glue anything on, but I can play.

Then I went to buy the supplies for my class on Saturday. The price has sure gone up there! I had set a kit fee based on the price when I checked about a month ago. So I won't be recovering my cost on the kits, but I'll be paid as a teacher, so that may cover my costs.

A nice thing happened in Office Depot. As I was checking out the clerk asked if I was a teacher. I hesitated and then said " Well, yes I teach but I'm not a school teacher", as I knew what she meant, even if she didn't specifically ask. So she asked what I taught, and I told her, and we had a bit of a chat about it, and I showed her the copying I had done for the class Saturday. Then she said " Just a minute, I'm going to give you something anyway". So she went and got me a very nice fabric bag ( some of the freebies aren't all that nice) and inside there were coupons for various services, a mouse pad, various pens including two Sharpies, Glue dots, a blank computer disc, and felt marker, and scratch pads--all stuff that is neat to have around.

Today I have to go and buy a few vegetables to make tomato sauce. I have a very good recipe, and we've already made some, but DH brought in an armload of ripe tomatoes yesterday, that need to be dealt with. The beets are about 2 inches across now, so should be eaten soon, and we've already eaten some of the carrots--good nibbles! But it's obviously fall now. The cooler nights and the smell of the air. DD was out buying jackets and coats for the children yesterday--a sure sign.

No comments: