Saturday, December 20, 2008


Here is a picture of the scraps I had left after finishing my quilt. As you can see, most of them are dark fabrics. When I took the picture, I had already made one small purse, from a pattern in the most recent Quilting Arts Magazine, out of the light coloured scraps. You can see it in the upper left corner of the pile. Since then I have finished the slouch bag, ( see previous post), two small purses of the style I've been selling for years, and a quilted embellished hanging, all from the light coloured scraps. I have a few brown scraps left from the slouch bag, that have been addded to the pile. I still haven't decided whether the hanging will end up as a hanging, or if I'll cut it down into a matted collage and a couple of coffee cuffs. I have a couple of sales scheduled for the next 8 months, and would prefer to produce stuff that I might be able to sell, and I have enough hangings for 20 sales.
These scrap challenges are a great creative spur to me. I guess I don't feel that I'm wasteing supplies, but rather that I'm making something out of nothing. The other way of looking at it is that it's "busy work", and I can use it to avoid "real" creativity. So I have to search my soul, as to the "why". ( As you can see, I'm still navel gazing instead of doing real work) I've decided that I don't really care. I'm playing, and having fun, and that's why I was a wage slave for forty years.

No comments: