Thursday, December 11, 2008

rough night!

Our littlest DGD was not well yesterday. DD called us about 7:00pm, to ask for help. Talking to her I found out that she had been up since 3:00am, had spent the day at work, and was only now getting home with the two children, and no-one had eaten since noon. The little one was having trouble breathing, and DD wanted to take her into emergency. But as she spoke, I realized that she was really "frazzeled", and not really thinking clearly. She wanted us to drive out to the country to stay with the older child, so that she could then turn around and drive in to the city to an emergency dept. Thankfully my SIL arrived home, bundled them all into the car and took them to a local hospital, just a short drive away. ( Ste. Anne-for those who know the area) The doctor wanted to keep the little one under observation for awhile after giving her some medication, so SIL and the older child went home, leaving DD at the hospital. We were on alert to drive out to stay with the older child, should SIL have to go to pick up mother and child later. We got a call at about 3:00am that the little one was being admitted for the night, and Mom would stay with her. My DD had been up for 24 hours at this point, and I was glad she was going to be able to get some sleep. It appears that the little one has some sort of viral infection similar to croup, that was causing a sore and swollen throat, but her lungs were fine ( no asthma--a fear we've had). We've had no word this morning, which I hope means that things are okay for now.

I remember those days. Young Mom with a demanding job, and no option to stay at home. Constant stress, lengthy days of nothing but crisis after crisis, and constant guilt and fear about not being a "good Mom". Add to that no time or energy for the less important things in life, such as house cleaning, and the added stress of believing you are being judged for everything you do.

So now about studio time. I seem to be having a bit of an artistic block--probably because I seem to be fighting a cold. Lying awake last night I remembered advice I had once given another artist about how to deal with this. Get into the studio and do something--doesn't matter what. Working with fabric and colour etc will bring back the "muse" if she's in there. So I don't think I'm going to worry, I'll just go and make pretty things and not worry if they aren't "great art"

No comments: