Friday, December 19, 2008

Played with scraps. I found I was going back to my "tried and true" projects, little purses etc. This lead to a lot of navel gazing. I came to realize that I really prefer to stay in my own comfort zone. This means that I'll never gain any ground as an artist unless I face the demons that keep me from trying anything new. This is quite an epiphany for me. While my technical skills are excellent, my creative skills need work. And I'm basically a very lazy person. So I decided to make the slouch bag that I've had at the back of my mind for a couple of years. What has held me back, you ask. I'm too lazy to make my own pattern and have been searching everywhere for a commercial one! Legally I can't sell anything Imake with a commercial pattern--so what the He--? So I knuckled down, and tried to design one. Even while working on it, I kept trying to avoid the task. Finally I got the pattern drafted and started working on the flap, where I was planning to add a decorative panel ( which was the basic idea behind a slouch bag in the first place). That's as far as I got yesterday. My flap is made ( too well as it turns out--it's a little stiff) Maybe today I'll work on the rest of the bag, but I still haven't settled in my mind, how I'm going to work out the strap. But the fridge needs cleaning, and I have some typing to do--and procrastination continues.

No comments: