Sunday, March 29, 2009

didn't get my books. I went to a shop that has been highly recommended by other quilters, but there were no books--all of the stock was in BC at a show. On top of that they were rude. I did get some silk, not in the colours I had hoped, but very pretty none the less. I also got felt to match, so that I can use the silk for box making or needle felting. I love the Duipionni silk for needlefelting. I tear it in 1/2" strips, but leave all of the loose threads hanging, and then felt it down. It felts beautifully, and and really adds to a felted piece. At another store I picked up some fat uarters--batiks. I rarely buy commercial fabric, much preferring to paint or dye my own, so this was a treat. The workshop I attended last weekend used batiks for the project backgrounds, and I really want to conquer this. I screwed up during the workshop and I'm determined to do better.

Yesterday we were out pricing computers. We very much want to up-grade a bit, and the one we have seems to need cleaning out. We use it for so little that we can get away with up-grading every five years instead of the every three months that real users think they need. We are seriously looking at a lap top. We found one that has a built in CD/DVD burner. The price is do-able( no--it's not the cheapest one around) and technical support would be available to us. This would allow me to be using the computer while DH is playing in endless poker tournaments. We need things like a new keyboard and mouse for the older computer, and I want a photo manipulation program for which classes would be available.

All of this planning and shopping, after my illness over the past few weeks, has meant that DH and I have been together constantly for over a month now. He has been quite enjoying having me with him, concentrating on his interests. Part of all of this is also the planning for some painting over the summer. I made the mistake of mentioning that a couple of the organizations I belong to are having flea market type events in June. He feels that this would be a great chance for me to get rid of some of the "stuff" I have stored in and around the studio--such as books, fabric and odds and ends. Maybe I could even pickup a few bucks. This terrifies me. I've spent years accumulating a stash, but now I realize that he sees it as competiton or maybe even a threat. I see some delicate negotiations in my future, but absolutely necessary if I, as person, am going to have a future.

No comments: