Thursday, March 19, 2009

Four weeks!

Until the first sale of the summer. I heard yesterday tht I got the booth space that I had wanted. I'm apprehensive about craft/art sales this year, given the poor economy, but Everything I read says that art sales remain strong in a poor economy, as people see emerging artists as a good investment. I'm looking at about 6 sales this year, and have hopes of selling something. I'm carefully squirreling the money away to help pay for my trip to Edmonton for the FAN retreat in October. I've already sent in post-dated cheques to cover the retreat itself, so I better find the money somewhere!

I took my bookmarks to the Guild meeting last Satuday, as a friend had said she was interested in maybe buying one. Well, she bought them all. So my next task is to make a bunch more bookmarks. She sure caught me by surprize. She says that she plans to use them as informal gifts, for people she works with. Yesterday I managed to make four greeting cards, influenced by the work of the teacher the Quilters' Guild is bringing in this weekend. (The only similarity between mine and hers is the use of free motion quilting.) I used some of my needle felting, and over all , I think it is too bulky for quality cards, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask $5-$7 for the ones I made. I noticed that the price on the teacher's sample was $18. Sure shows what a difference there is between the Winnipeg and the Toronto market. I've also seen some of her work matted for sale. She uses a different matting technique than I do, and I rather like the way her pieces lie flat. I'm hoping that she teaches this in her classes.

The grandchildren are coming over for supper tonight. We haven't seen them since late February, as one or t'other of us has been too busy or too sick. This weekend looks just as bad with these Guild workshops, so tonight may be our best bet. I better try to have a nap this afternoon.

No comments: