Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spoke to someone yesterday who has been through this cold. She said that it was two weeks before she felt "normal", and that was after she felt well enough to go back to work. I believe her. Yesterday was a rough day. I slept last night but it was because of all the otc cold medication, I'm sure.

Since I don't feel fit to do any work, I've been sitting and going through some of my books. I've been collecting needlework related books for almost 40 years, and I'm thinking it might be time to cull a few out. I plan to slowly donate them to the Manitoba Crafts Museum and Library, so they aren't just dumped in a second hand store. ( My DD has tld me that any of my treasures that aren't clearly marked for some purpose will be part of the "world's biggest garage sale" when I die) While I'm finding some very "dated" books, I'm also finding some gems that I had forgotten about. Part of this might be that my interests have changed over time and what was mildly interesting a few years back, is now a "gotta have".

One book that I looked through last night has given me some real food for thought. It was a how to book on making fabric books. When I got close to the end there was a bit of a gallery show of fabric books made by various artists. As I went through I recognized some of them just by virtue of the style of the work. Now, my work has no consistent style. In "art speak", I haven't yet found my voice. The pieces that are percolating in my mind right now are very different than anything else I've been working on over the past three years. (Maybe it's those otc cold medications?) So how important is it for an artist to find a style that speaks to them and with them? I may be at that dreaded stage of knowing what I don't like. The pieces I did for the Fiber Art Connection of Southern California are quite presentable, and will likely end up in one of their shows. But they are not the sort of thing I find truly representative of me. I would probably not have made them if I wasn't interested in completing one of their challenges and being part of one of their shows. Please don't think that I haven't learned as part of the process. I learned a lot through making them. But I also learned that I have a long way to go and a lot of work ahead of me if I'm to ever find a place in the quilt/fiber art world.

So what does my drugged brain have in store for today? These drugs give rise to the most bizarre dreams. I have three visions in my head for pieces, and hope to be able to get them on paper over the course of the day.

No comments: