Monday, August 25, 2008

Life gets in the way

Where, oh where, has my life gone?? Sautrday night I told DH that I would go into the studio and start to sort things out so we could seriously think about washing the floor. (Yeah, I know, we've been talking about it for weeks) I started slowly and --WHAM!!--he came to help. Well, when DH helps it means that everything is done to his plan and schedule, and I get to 'fetch and carry"--in MY studio. This might work if he had a plan or schedule. I had wanted to sort all the crap out as it left the studio, so that I wouldn't have to carry it back in. I had boxes to sort into--one for the Embroiderers' guild, one for the Quilters' Guild and one for the local thrift store. I also had two five gallon pails for garbage. He decided to move everything, no matter what it was, into my little store room or into the sitting area adjacent to the studio.-, after all we had to do that to wash the floor and wasn't washing the floor what we were there for? By the end of the evening, the floor in the studio had been washed, and nothing had been taken back into the area. The rest of the basement was in total chaos. Then he decided that he had done enough, and maybe I should sort some of the junk before it went back in.

Yesterday, I finally got a start on sorting, and mentioned that I had a lot of magazines that needed to go somewhere else. Well, he came in like a cyclone and 20 years of Quilters' Newsletter Magazine, Cross stitch and Country Crafts, Piecework, American Patchwork and Quilters, Piecework, and one other were hauled out of the basement, loaded into the wheelbarrow and taken to the curb so that the re-cyclers could haul it away today. Then he says that there were three magazine holders left that he thought I might want to sort through. I think that he really wanted those magazines out of the house. Duh! You think!??

So I mentally "girded my loins" and figured on starting serious sorting and cleaning today. OH NO!! he has other ideas. After annoucning last evening that we would be spending three days this week at the lake with our DD and DGD, today we had to make pies for the freezer! I guess the work was a trade off. Even though my hips and feet have been screaming with pain the last few days, I made the pastry and put the pies together, standing, while he pared the apples--tiny little apples off our tree. There is no way my hands could have peeled, cored and sliced all those apples, as we went through 6 dozen, and produced 10 full sized pies. We gave several dozen apples to the neighbour, and threw out any that fell off in the recent wind or were bruised. This is a very productive little tree!

Now, I have been wanting to go back to the sequence dyeing to see if I can produce something for the "Black and White" challenge from the Fiber Art Connection of Southern California. The deadline is September 28. I've ordered my dyes from Toronto and the tracking system of UPS shows that they arrived in Winnipeg Friday afternoon. So we have been sitting at home the past three days waiting for the delivery. Nothing! I called today and was told that it is scheduled for delivery today, and that they may deliver any time before 8:00pm. This means that one of us has to stay up stairs beause we can't hear the doorbell from the basement. But--I'm now having doubts that I'll be able to get anything done before the dealine-especially with going to the lake.

No comments: