Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Washing the floor

is going to be quite a chore. We are planning this like a military manoevre. I can see the whole task consuming our lives over the next few days. It would appear that I'm going to have to break down most of my studio, so that we can get at the floor. We'll certainly have to roll up the rug in my little sitting area and we really need to get at the floor in the laundry room. The one with all of the wine spilt on it from last time we transferred from primary to carboy. I sort of don't mind, because a general clean up is part of my ritual when I finish a piece--and I certainly have finished pieces over the last little while. But it's rained for about 24 hours now--one of those slow, steady, soaking rains. Nothing is drying because of the high humidity, and I have to wonder how quickly a wet basement floor would dry. We might be better to delay this for a week, as the forecast is for even more rain.

And that would give me more time to get myself started on a new piece. I have been taking a second look at some of my UFO's. One, that I spent a tremendous amount of time on, will probably be disgarded--although I haven't actually forced myself to do that yet. Another has been re-worked to a certain extent. I'm still sure it will never be a great work of art, but I want to pursue it anyway. However, I need to remember that even though my big deadlines are past, I still have a couple of important things to deal with in September, and it's time I started to worry about them.

No comments: