Saturday, August 23, 2008

Me and the clay

Today I took my course in using polymer clay to make beads. I went prepared to take pictures so that I could put them up here, but it wasn't possible. I had also been told to make sure I took my pasta machine, but when I got there, there were six machines set up. Maybe part of the reason it's so hard to find pasta machines here is that the teacher has bought them all.(LOL) Any way we made a "cane", or sausage shaped piece of clay with several colours in it, and then we made beads using the "cane". My first effort was nothing like the sample, and darned if I know what happened. The teacher made up a little one, the right way, so that I could move on to the next step. Now, I'm determined to make one the right way so that I can figure out what went wrong! but i came home with aobut 10 beads. Most of them are quite large. At the end, when we were able to do our own thing, I made a few flat beads, that I might be ble to use in my collages.

But my dyes have not yet arrived, and my house is being overrun with junk, so the next few days I'll be trying to sort out the studio enough that we can finally wash the floor. We had a short, sudden cloud burst yesterday. Heavier rain than I can remember having seen around here before, and a little water got in the basement. We're not sure how, and are a little concerned about it. We haven't had this before in the 9 years we've lived here, so we believe it was just because of the heaviness of the rain. Sure hope so anyway.

No comments: