Friday, February 13, 2009

Bike Dump

Well, I had a geat idea for this quilt when I started. One day of work and the whole thing has changed--for the better I hope. I have cut out various sized circles/rings from, mainly, hand dyed fabric. I have one commercial batik in there, at this point. Then I fused all of the rings to black, and cut them out again with a thin black ring all around the inside and outside edge of the coloured fabric. (When I looked at my picture, all of the graffitti was outlined in black.) All of this cutting ( there are at least twenty rings and circles)left my hands very sore, so I spent the evening doing mending rather than the quilt. My intent was to organize the rings very carefully, with a meduim and small ring inside each large one, not aranged concentrically but rather having the outsides touch at one spot. Boring! So now I have cut out four different sizes of rings as well as retaining the circles that were left from the centers of the rings. I plan to just lay these out in a heap, a much closer representation of the picture I'm working from. the background will be white to represent the snow that surrounds the bicycle wheels in the picture. I'm toying with the idea of doing some subtle quilting that will use motifs from the graffitti in the picture.

In the meantime, I have an opportunity to get some dyes from Toronto without having to pay shipping, but I may also have to go out today, so have to get a list of code numbers ready for my husband, just in case the call comes when I'm not home.

No comments: