Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stuck at home

because of the rain. Rain in winter, in Winnipeg, is not pretty. We have to go out this afternoon, and Dh has just told me that he saw the sand truck out on the main street two doors away, so we might be able to get down town later in the day. Traffic is s-l-o-o-w. Yesterday DH almost fell outside just walking from the back door to the front, to put down some grit so that the mailman could get in the yard. Mailman got here but no garbage pick up.

So part of the day was spent dyeing fabric. Most of it was low water immersion dyeing, but DH brought in one of my 5 gallon pails so I was able to do one piece with a larger dye bath. Each dye bath done that way takes a minimum of 2 1/2 hours of constant attention, so it's not my favourite way of doing things.

Did some pattern drafting for Bike Dump. Sometimes it pays to be old and have experience doing things the old fashioned way. I had to draw some big circles, and my little compass just wasn't big enough. ( I have an extension for it, but darned if I know how to use it) Then I remembered that before there were Omnigrids, we had little plastic rullers with holes in them. I found one and with a stilletto in one hole and a sharp pencil in another, I had a 18 inch compass. So the big circles for Bike Dump are done and then put into strudy paper patterns.

The rest of my time was spent reading library books. I've gone through two by Robert B. Parker and am half way through one by Deborah Cromby--in just two days. So maybe another visit to the library is in my future.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

I know what you mean, I had to postpone a chiropractor's visit after spraining my back on the weekend (of course I didn't know the damn thing was actually sprained but I can tell you that the pain was excruciating for a while).