Friday, April 17, 2009

New Disaster!

I knew my happiness was too good to be true. This weekend is my first big sale of the season. I was planning to gauge the effect of the economy collapse on the results of this sale, and have spent a lot of time and money getting ready for it. We are packed and ready to go with set up scheduled for this evening. Late yesterday we heard that the road into the venue had washed out because of overland flooding. The city is tryingto fix it up, but the mayor declared a state of emergency yesterday because of flooding, and city crews have worse situations on their hands.. You can access the sale venue from the north rather than from the south ( a long poorly maintained gravel road that no one knows anything about, and is really a "back door" route). Because there is access, no matter how poor, the charity organizing the event is committed to the sale, even if no customers show up. So the charity is going to lose big time, as they have rented the venue for the weekend, and vendors will lose big by spending two days at a sale with no customers. A disaster all round.

I've been pretty well in tears since I heard yesterday. I will still have my stock, and there are two more sales scheduled for July, but I'm still upset.

No comments: