Saturday, April 25, 2009

YES!!!

I tried a new (to me) technique yesterday, and it's working! I'm actually couching by machine in a specific pattern. In this case it's oneof my bare trees. I drew it out on paper, made a template and transferred the markings to a piece of fabric. Now I'm laying down a fairly fine metallic thread to fill in the pattern, just as I would if I was hand couching Japanese Gold. This will, hopefully, be a box top for the show I've entered in mid-June. I plan to construct this box in the manner I'll be teaching in 2010, so this could also function as a teaching sample. I plan to make another box using a different method for the juried show in July--the one I just heard about this week.

We were out for dinner last night to celebrate my DGD's 10th birthday. DH and I went early to get our name on the waiting list as the restaurant didn't accept reservations. We were told that there would be a 25-35 minute wait. So DH sat down with a little electronic gadget that would page us, and I went across the parking lot to a clothing store. We weren't expecting the family for at least 20 minutes. Well, I got back in about 10 minutes, and met the family just coming in. DH was standing on the far side of the restaurant holding down a table for six, and worried silly that we wouldn't make it. They had seated him in about 10 minutes. A very nice dinner, and then back to the house for cake. They had a fully chocolate Jeanne's cake. I'ld never seen one before. It was almost too much. My DGD had given up chocolate for Lent, and I guess this was in honour of that sacrifice.

No comments: