Sunday, January 11, 2009

The class!!

Went really well. Everyone seemed to gain something from it. There were even a couple of ladies who had not been in the previous classes in the series ( And we are set up to accommodate this sort of "drop in"). I spoke to each of them privately and was assured that they were well satisfied. I also found out that there are more of you out there reading this than I had thought. Welcome!
I now have six pieces of dyed fabric that I can start to design pieces around. Since my 2010 class is about designing around painted pieces, I can use these for practise. A friend, who was working in the shop while the class was on, showed us a marvelous piece she has done. She had taken a piece of mottled green/brown fabric and used it behind a detailed embroidery of the final scattering of dandelion seeds off the seed head. Really inspiring! The five pages of notes I had prepared on ways to use colour in designing, went by quite quickly. I can see using them in my 2010 class, but I can also see how I'm going to have to enhance them with examples. I think I'll have to prepare very similar packages on all of the other principles of design. Just preparing the presentation would be a fantastic learning experience for me.

This class has invigorated me. This is a good thing, because I have been concerned about my lack of energy and initiative lately. Friday evening I sat in front of the tv and barely moved for almost four hours. This is really not like me. I'll sit, but my hands are usually very busy. Mind you, one of those hours was Celebrity Rehab. I watch that closely, and don't usually stitch. ( I know, I know--I should be ashamed of myself) Anyway, I was starting to wonder if the great grey monster of depression was attacking me. It's that time of year, and I know other members of the family tend toward SAD. In the past, when I've started to feel this way, and recognized it, I've managed to pull myself out. So yesterday I started some of my strategies--like wearing red instead of black. Hey! Whatever works! Right? Today, even with having to put together a great meal for DD and her little ones, I hope to get some designs out of my head, and onto paper. I have two that are just itching to get out, and one that is slowly forming in the back ground. As part of the class yesterday, I had the students trouble shoot my lizard piece, by using the colour wheel to suggest what colour the lizards should be embroidered. So now I have to work on their suggestions. Sounds like a busy day!

No comments: